Wednesday, August 12, 2009

FORE!! Zach is gonna be a golfer!

Well, after many tries of many different activities for Zach (DS4), maybe we've found the one for him.  He's not ever been into going to a class or activity like tumbling or sports or music.  Don't know why, he just says 'I Don't Know' when I ask him why he doesn't like something.  Maybe he doesn't really know, he just knew he didn't really LIKE it.  Boys are definitely born different from girls when it comes to communication, at least my two are.  It's pulling teeth to get him to tell me about school or an activity or something.  He'll answer with a token "We played Transformers" or "Yes, it was really fun" but that's all I get!  So, talking to him about why or why not he likes or doesn't like something in an effort to get intel out of him for clues in choosing the next activity is usually futile.  So, the other day he says that he'd like to play golf.  I've been asking and asking him "what activity do you want to do for Fall?" (sister has Brownies).  I've showed him rec center pamphlets with lots of activities, talked to him about t-ball, soccer, basketball, even Karate, and nothing impressed him.  But out of the blue, golf.  Go figure.  Although, I've had a couple days to ponder on this and he does really LOVE mini-golf!  And he LOVES golfing on the Wii, neither of which, I realize, are comparable to "real" golf.  But, his interest does make sense! So, I tried to explain there would be no pirate ship to hit the ball into and no waterfalls and music and snacks.  He said "OK."  He asked about what he would wear and seemed really excited! So, I looked into it and pretty quickly found a place to take him to try it out.  Turns out, our membership at the YMCA gets us substantial discounts to their own Junior course attached to a National course, awesome!  I called and found out about classes (I was afraid of the cost) but it turned out to be fairly comparable to gymnastics or other organized sports.  Today, the family went and golfed 3 holes just to show him what it's like and see if he wanted to go ahead and try the class.  He really did like it!  He (and Alex) had their own little kids' bags that the course provides to borrow and they used their drivers and putters and really golfed, it was fun!  I explained that class would be some instruction and not just playing all the time, they teach skills as well as rules and etiquette.  He still wants to try, so he's signed up!  Yay for Zach!  I hope he enjoys it and will feel proud!  Here's some pics of us on his first day out on the course...






I took these pictures with a point-n-shoot, one handed while carrying stuff and while walking, so the quality isn't the best, but the cuteness is to die for!!!!

Thanks for reading!
'nite

No comments:

Post a Comment